Working Mom Time Management Tip For Getting Me And The Kids Out the Door In 5 Minutes or Less
School mornings can be busy, but I have found a great way to get out the door in 5 minutes or less. I have named each person in our house “Ruler of My Morning.”
As “Ruler of My Morning” each person understands that it is their responsibility to make sure they are prepared for the day.
This means each child is responsible for making sure they wear the right shoes on PE day and that they have their homework.
The way I see it, it is much better for each person to have to worry about one person (themselves) versus me trying to remember everything for everybody.
Sure, sometimes they forget things. But, this is part of their life lessons. By being accountable they are learning that not being prepared and expecting others to do what they can do for themselves is a set-up for a not-so-good day.
Here are the responsibilities according to age:
- Use bathroom before we leave (no time for potty breaks on way to school)
- Put on shoes (preferably ones that match)
- Carry homework folder and jacket (when needed) to car
- Same as 3-year-old plus…
- Carry any blankets, “show and share” or special project items to car
- Same as 5-year-old plus…
- Put lunchbox in backpack
- Make sure all papers that need a parent signature are signed
I’d love to know, how do you manage “out the door” time?